Wednesday, September 20, 2006

EGO

There is a lot of stuff going around in the blogs I read that I am having a hard time with.
I am not sure if it is my own ego that is judging it or other egos affecting my judgment. Since my confession I have been trying to keep my own comments on teachers in check but I am beginning to go back to Buddha’s final words “be a lamp unto your self”.

It is my understanding that part of the middle way is to try and take the third position.
These internet masters of late seem to be more concerned with them selves than saving all sentient beings. This concerns me. I think the truth is out there but it is getting buried in a bunch of useless delusion. It is my deepest hope and sincere wish that all of these teachers try and get back to the great mater.

Gassho

2 Comments:

Blogger SlowZen said...

grim,
This really depends on your perception of ego. Keeping your “ego” which is the sum of your “self” out of posts is not attainable. Keeping foolish pride and arrogance out of posts is the challenge.

My first post was about pain. I thought I was not emotionally attached to my pain. It turned out that when I found out I would be mobile in 10 days instead of 6 weeks my perception of my pain was significantly reduced.

Our pride and arrogance is allot like this. We like to think it is not there, but it is a dragon waiting in us. I try to see the dragon for what it is and surely sometimes fail.

Funny thing, bowing helps. Sounds silly and the first time I did it it felt pretty silly too.
Showing gratitude in our daily life for everything in our daily life is likely the best medicine for keeping the dragon inside of us tamed.

Monday, 02 October, 2006  
Blogger SlowZen said...

Grim,
You are in long beach, if you practice with Brad it would be good to ask him face to face about formally taking the precepts. Long beach is about 24 miles from LA. Get in the big ox cart.

I may be making assumptions that I should not. You are pursuing the truth?

From the Dhammapada:
"Verse 104. Victory Over Oneself Is Unequalled

Greater the conquest of oneself
than subjugating others,
that one who’s always self-restrained,
that one who’s tamed of self."

Explanation: Self conquest is greater than the conquest of others. The victory of one who conquers himself cannot be turned into defeat. He remains a self controlled individual who lives ever disciplined.

I did not write that however I think this applies to your situation nicely. Even if you are bowing outwardly, If you are filled with poison on the inside you are still suffering.

This is a "Practice” so practice.

Tuesday, 03 October, 2006  

<< Home