Tuesday, December 05, 2006

MY PRACTICE

After the tone of my last post I thought it was time for something fun, to the tune of any other Marine practitioners should be very familiar with….

MY PRACTICE
THIS IS MY PRACTICE, THERE ARE MANY LIKE IT BUT THIS ONE IS MINE. MY PRACTICE IS MY BEST FRIEND. IT IS MY LIFE. I MUST MASTER IT AS I MASTER MY LIFE. WITHOUT ME IT IS USELESS, WITHOUT MY PRACTICE I AM USELESS.

I WILL PRACTICE TRUE, I MUST PRACTICE STRAIGHTER THAN MY DELUSION WHICH IS TRYING TO CAUSE SUFFERING, I MUST PRACTICE CESSATION BEFORE I SUFFER....I WILL. MY PRACTICE AND MYSELF KNOW WHAT COUNTS IN THE UNIVERSE IS NOT ENLIGHTENMENT, THE NOISE OF OUR CHANTS, NOR THE SMOKE WE MAKE. WE KNOW THAT IT IS PRACTICE THAT COUNTS. WE WILL SIT...

MY PRACTICE IS EVEN AS I, BECAUSE IT IS MY LIFE. THUS I WILL LEARN IT AS A BROTHER, LEARN ITS WEAKNESSES, ITS STRENGTHS, ITS PARTS, ITS ACCESSORIES, ITS CERIMONIES AND ITS PRAYRS. I WILL EVER GUARD IT AGAINST THE RAVAGES OF SAMSARA AND DOUBT. I WILL KEEP MY PRACTICE CLEAN AND READY, EVEN AS I AM CLEAN AND READY. WE WILL BECOME PART OF EACH OTHER. WE WILL...

BEFORE MYSELF I SWEAR THIS CREED, MY PRACTICE AND MYSELF ARE THE DEFENDERS OF MY UNIVERSE, WE ARE THE MASTERS OF OUR SELVES, WE ARE THE SAVIORS OF MY LIFE. SO BE IT, UNTIL THERE IS NO SAMSARA BUT PEACE.


Gassho!
Jordan

4 Comments:

Blogger oxeye said...

hi jordan - the original ends.. "until there is no enemy but peace." I always wondered if that line was intentionaly ambiguous.

Thursday, 07 December, 2006  
Blogger SlowZen said...

Oxeye,
There is a great article about Buddhism and the soldier here: http://www.beyondthenet.net/thedway/soldier.htm

The last line I hope should resolve any ambiguity you may have felt.
I have quoted the last paragraph below.

“The soldier is one who thrives for peace within because he is one who realizes the pain of his own wounds. He is one who sees the bloody destruction of war, the dead, the suffering etc. Hence his desire to bring peace to himself as well as to the others by ending the war as soon as possible. He not only suffers during the war but even after the war. The painful memories of the battles he fought linger in him making him aspire for true and lasting peace within and without. Hence the common phenomenon of transformation of brutal kings having an insatiable desire to conquer to incomparable and exemplary righteous kings such as Drarmasoka king of Mourian dynasty of India.”

Gassho
Jordan

Thursday, 07 December, 2006  
Blogger oxeye said...

"People returning from War are never the same. War changes them, some more than others. When the Warrior within is released it can never be put back in the box, can never be ignored.

The effects of war trauma can be subtle or dramatic. They range from persistent vigilance, insomnia, and generalized anxiety to violent rage, substance abuse, criminal behavior, murder, and suicide."

that was from returningwarriors.com

I have known many returning vets in my life and like the general population they are all different. It would be great if they were all inclined towards peaceful pursuits, but my experience has been that many become involved in all types of destructive behavior. The "Hell's Angels" were started by returning vets for example. But there are also veterans like Harvey So Daiho Hilbert, Co-Founder of Clear Mind Zen. He came out of it wanting to help other people find their own peace.

He has a great blog by the way..

Zen

Thursday, 07 December, 2006  
Blogger SlowZen said...

Oxeye,

Thank you.

Unfortunately we are all bound to some extent by greed, anger, and delusion.
This will cause a lot of people to do destructive things “persistent vigilance, insomnia, and generalized anxiety to violent rage, substance abuse, criminal behavior, murder, and suicide.” Any trauma can have a similar result. I had the lucky circumstance of gaining a third perspective, which has helped me (after being spiritually whipped to the bone.)

Getting others there is difficult. Worse yet can seem to cause even more damage. This is probably where the tradition of making a person ask three times to get into a monastery comes from. Some people are not ready for reality.

I like Harvey So Daiho Hilbert’s blog. It is…Peaceful.

Gassho
Jordan

Thursday, 07 December, 2006  

<< Home